Home Page

 
        
Accommodations
Automotive
Classifieds
Coffee Break
Community
Education
Entertainment
Finances
Health & Beauty
History
Home Life
Parenting
Spirituality
Tech KNOW
Teen Zone
Transportation
 
:: Find More History At The ::
:: The Flower Growers of Encinitas :: :: Indians of the County ::
:: The History of Encinitas :: :: Trivial Facts :: :: North County Times Articles ::
  • Encinitas got its name from Encina Canada, Spanish for "hills of live oaks". This describes what Gaspar de Portola saw in 1669, when he led an expedition through the region.
  • E-zee Street sign (off Saxony Rd.) is anchored to the ground by a massive chain because people kept stealing the sign.
  • Encinitas was the "Home of the Mid-Winter Flower Show."
  • La Paloma Theatre is supposedly haunted by the ghost of a man who died in 1928.
  • San Dieguito tap water was so brown that most restaurants disguised it in amber glasses.
  • President Roosevelt passes along the 101 stretch once in the mid 1930s.
  • 1907 the town's population was 22.
  • Charlie Chaplin's older brother, Syd, owned the land where Encinitas City Hall now sits. He also owned the land north of the Civic Center, Hacienda Del Playa.
  • Jabez Pitcher settled in Encinitas in 1881 and is considered to be the founding father of the town. Shortly after Pitcher came to North County San Diego, he claimed 160 acres near the railroad tracks where the Civic Center is now located.
Is something missing that you would like to see? Let us know!

 
 
| Add URL | Contact | Advertising |
 

© 2002, Copyright, 92024.com